Director of Human Resources
Job ID: DHR2-VA
Location: Harrisonburg, VA
Degree: degree required
Salary: $135,000 +15%
Join our highly acclaimed food manufacturing company and work in culture of openness, respect and excellence. We have a heritage of values that we live everyday as we celebrate satisfied customers.
We have a Covid-19 employee protection program as well.
The Human Resources Director is located in the Harrisonburg, Virginia area in a 500+ union employee FMCG (fast moving consumer goods) manufacturing production plant & distribution complex with a Fortune 500 Co. This role will have full plant HR responsibilities over a staff of HR Generalists.
The human resources manager will serve as primary contact to the plant manager and local plant leadership staff. Partner with the plant manager to execute programs and strategies at the plant including LEAN related programs to drive efficiencies. Delivers results through the daily execution key processes such as talent acquisition, employee development, performance management, compensation planning, positive employee relations and labor relations, and talent development programs. Provide front-line HR support for all plant based employees regardless of function. These activities will include day-to-day support of professional and senior professional employees in the areas of talent acquisition, training, performance management, employee inquiries and transaction processing. In collaboration with corporate HR leaders across the company, will be accountable for deploying initiatives within the plant and agricultural environments in the areas of talent action planning, year-end performance/compensation planning and strategic employee strategies at manager level and above.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Serve as the business partner and main point of contact for the plant manager to executes the plant’s business plans.
- Human Resources Manager is responsible for a site with a total employee population of 500 employees and multiple value streams and/or operations in a union plant.
- Delivers training and development programs to improve organization capability and effectiveness.
- Develop a local workforce plan and local strategy to successfully recruit, develop and retain qualified candidates.
- Ensure newly hired employees are on boarded and train to successfully perform their jobs in a safe manner.
- Actively support plant management to apply Daily Lean Management System (DLMS) and lean problem solving skills to resolve performance issues
- Assist plant management in the development of future leaders, succession planning, and effective workforce planning.
- Partners with plant manager to establish and maintain the culture through companies mission, values, and behaviors in action. Champion and implement change initiatives in support of business strategies.
- Execute all HR policies, practices and processes to ensure legal compliance with regulatory standards and legal obligations governing employee practices, labor laws, global business practices, audits and charges from regulatory agencies like EEOC and the OFCCP and state and local agencies.
- Execute proactive labor relations and positive employee relations strategies that maintain workforce stability and ensures a highly engaged work environment.
- Supports and coaches all plant leaders in the administration of work rules, policies and practices.
- Supports the execution of all human capital processes at the plant. Ensures that performance management processes are effectively used by managers to grow and develop their employees.
- Leverage recognition programs and manage and execute local incentives which drive an innovative high performance culture.
- Lead and champion effective employee communication programs.
- Support plant leadership team to implement organization changes that improve individual and plant performance
- Coach and develop direct reports
- Bachelor’s Degree (BA/BS) from four-year College or university required. Master’s degree in HR preferred. PHR or SPHR certification a plus
- Must have up-to-date knowledge and understanding of human resources and employment practices (selection, interviewing, job evaluations, contract administration, etc.)
- Minimum 10 years direct HR experience required, including a minimum of 2 years in a HR Manager role in a manufacturing environment.
- Experience in human resources function in a manufacturing environment, preferably in the food industry.
- Continuous Improvement/LEAN oriented mindset
- Requires excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to handle information in a confidential manner.
- Strong employee labor relations experience required.